Tuesday, June 11, 2013

HOW IT ALL BEGAN...

Last summer my friend Paula forced encouraged me to visit a flea market with her.  I had never thought much about them, but one metal parrot later, and I was hooked.  Now I love them more than a fat kid loves pie and can smell out a flea market three miles away.

At the time, I was looking for a piece of furniture for my bedroom, but I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for.  Since I love to look at antiques and I’m super cheap thrifty, flea markets seemed like a good idea.  I mean, who doesn’t love the smell of dust, depression and dying dreams? (or so I imagined).  Then I saw him.  Staring at me with his big metal eyes asking –no beckoning me to take him home with me.  And that, my friends is how this hobby was born.

This is Ricky. AND  I. LOVE. HIM

But I really didn’t have an answer when asked “So, what do you like to do”? People tend to look at you funny when you say “Me?  I fill up my garage, haul around junk, and spray paint things until my garage floor is sticky, my toes are purple and I leave purple prints in the bathtub.”
So I thought I would research some definitions for you:

Posh - Adv.
    •    Smart, elegant or fashionable; exclusive  
    •    Upper-class or genteel
    •    In a manner associated with the upper class
I like this definition.  Plus I secretly like Victoria Beckham.  Not because she was Posh Spice, but I kinda like her “I’m awesome, look at my awesomness because it’s so awesome” style.

Flea Market - 1917, especially in reference to the Fr. marche aux puces in Paris, so-called "because there are so many second-hand articles sold of all kinds that they are believed to gather fleas."

I don’t like that definition, and since I’ve never found a flea in the flea market, I’m gonna make up my own definition.  (It’s my blog, I can do what I want).

Flea Market - a magical place (not unlike Never, Never land or that planet in Avatar where the mountains were in the sky) where hidden treasures abound.  Where old things to  become reborn as new, useful, colorful, non-smelly cute things at a fair and reasonable price.

So.  That’s what I do.  That and write incomplete, run-on sentences with incorrect grammar on a blog.

**Incidentally, Dictionary.com is so helpful, that it gives you other words that are similar:

 Poshest is always a great word to know.  So is ninnyhammer: a chattering or flighty, light-headed person.

I'm not sure, but I think Dictionary.com just insulted me. Or they have seen me after a marathon spray paint session.

No comments:

Post a Comment